Thursday, July 31, 2008

OBX Vacation 2008


I know, I know. I am a Summer Blog Slacker or a SBS. Yes, there is an official term for it. At least, now there is. So hopefully this marathon post will get you back up to speed and you can revel in my witty humor...

We finally took a much needed, restful week in the Outer Banks the third week of July.

And when I say restful, I mean WELL RESTED. I think the majority of adults slept between 9-10 hours per day, there were lots of naps, lots. I think Aunt Ninny is part cat.

We spent the week on North Swan Beach, which if you've been to the OBX, know it's past the end of the road above Corolla (and for you non-locals, that's pronounced KAH-RAH-LA) and you need 4WD to get out to your house.

The homes there are built on the beach, with no roads, or street signs, all you see are dunes and homes. It's the way the beach should be, peaceful and serene with no traffic and virtually no people.
Here was our view this year...


We had a Sunday check-in this year, which gave us optimum sanity on the way down. We made the trek in 7 hours (including a stop for lunch) and arrived in the daylight. Considerably better than last year (our 1st year on the 4x4 beaches) when we arrived in the pitch black fogginess of night, 11 hours after leaving home with no streets or roads to guide us to our house and Max screaming most of the way.

The horses (wild Spanish Mustangs) greeted us early in the week and can be seen here in our "backyard" and on the beach in front of the house. They aren't that wild...



The wildlife was certainly abundant, including a flock of penguins (read: pelicans) that Dad pointed out one evening on the deck.

Sadie and Lola also joined us this year and acted like they were on fire every time they got near the water. And then you add two screaming kids chasing them and the scene looked something like this.




I am fairly certain Max is going to join a nudist camp. He was most happy in his birthday suit, so that's the way I left him most of the week. As this series of pictures will show...



Don't judge, he was happy in the nude.

Ava was a pure delight and enjoyed the pool and the beach, no complaints. She worked on her swimming skills and sandcastle building. Two skills every kid should get to perfect! Plus, she learned to play Uno, apparently the highlight of her vacation...




Hopefully Max takes her cue next year or there is going to have to be a padded room somewhere close by for me! Let's just blame his moods on his teeth...yeah, that's it.



Here are assorted pics from the week. ENJOY!










Here's to OBX 2009!



3 comments:

Teach Me. Lead Me. Inspire Me. said...

Too cute! Looks like fun...and is making me want to go there for pictures! Oh the fun I could have......you did this to torture me didn't you?

{The Tresslers} said...

I wanna go, I wanna go!!!!!

I also think Maura will join Max someday in that nudist camp...what's with these kids and wanting to be nakey all the time?

I also love to see Sadie hanging out and relaxing a little too...

Bryan and Jonathan said...

Let 'em fly Max. He's way too cute. Ava's sunglasses look so cool on her- Stylin'! I love that you got to see wild horses just outside your door! Those are really some gorgeous shots. Sorry we couldn't see you when we stopped through but it was really worth it on your end - OBX is beautiful!